Meteorological analyses for UFA2/EXPORT/STAAARTE
This page gives access to meteo information prepared by KNMI (Peter van Velthoven)
for the UFA2/EXPORT/STAAARTE aircraft campaigns
that took place from 18 July to 10 August 2000 at Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany.
The UFA project (Upper Tropospheric Aerosol Formation) is
led by Prof. F. Arnold of the
Max Planck Institute for Nuclear Physics
During the second part of the UFA2 campaign joint flights with
the UK Met. Office Hercules and the French CNRS Falcon were made
in the framework of EXPORT.
During the campaign also 2 flights in the framework of the EU-project
STAAARTE were made (see table below).
The meteo plots are based on ECMWF model analyses.
Some additional parameters have been calculated at KNMI with diagnostic
software developed by Peter van Velthoven.
Trajectories for every 2-minutes of flight have been calculated with
the KNMI trajectory model TRAKNMI.
- I have recalculated CAPE from ECMWF model level data, so that
the CAPE values are somewhat larger now than those based on pressure level data.
- The water vapour image for 9 August 2000 is missing.
During the campaigns 13 flights were made with the DLR Falcon:
- All synthesized flight data in ascii-format in file UFA2crdata.tar (931.840 bytes) - split in general (trackML..-files) and cloud data (trackCL..-files). Interpolated in space and time
to the Falcon position from 6-hrly ECMWF analyses (ML..) resp. first guess (6 hour forecast) fields (CL..).
The data columns are described in the .hdr files. The
actual data files have extension .cr.
The data columns are separated by tabs.
See also the gif-plots included in the flight pages listed below.
- All trajectory data in ascii-format in file UFA2_AN_traj.tar (8.253.440 bytes). The format is described in descriptionTRAJ.txt.
The files QA_YYMMDDHH.TR and QB_YYMMDDHH.TR contain the 15 trajectories (for every 2 minute of
flight) for the half hour before (QA: HH:30-HH:58) resp. after HH (QB: HH:00-HH:28).
See also the trajectory gif plots below.
The file labels Q?_YYMMDDHH are also indicated in these plots.
- All html-text and plots in gif-format in a tar-file UFA2www.tar (71 Mbyte)
Copyright © KNMI --- Last modified: Saturday, 06-Mar-2004 11:03:50 UTC
Please mail any comments or questions to: velthoveATknmi.nl